Aquiring Disability Status for Primary LE

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Aquiring Disability Status for Primary LE

Postby mdhall » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Pat, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your wisdom and expertise during the past few years, and the input from the whole group :!: I've read the forum Q&As many, many times, but this is my first time putting a question out there.

I'm a 39-year-old female with primary LE which on-set at puberty, so I've had it for over 20 years now. As with all the other LE patients out there, I've had to be my own medical expert and advocate. I certainly know more about LE than any doctor I've ever visited, and that's a very discouraging fact of life.

:?: My question is this: What's your experience with, or knowledge of, obtaining disability status? I don't necessarily mean for Social Security purposes, since I am luckily able to still work at my profession (secretary) since I'm able to keep my feet elevated all day. But, for things such as:

1) Disabled parking permits
2) Obtaining lower mass transit fares for persons with disabilities
3) For special federal hiring categories
4) Etc.

Do you have any experience with this particular question, or have you heard any stories from others that might be helpful? Or perhaps just some advice on what verbage to put in the letter of medical necessity....which I'LL have to type and get my GP to sign (since he/she won't have a clue what to include in such a letter).

My question isn't only addressed to Pat, though. I'd be grateful to ANYONE who might offer some advice or share personal experiences.

Thanks very much,
-Missy in Northern Virginia-
mdhall

Re: Aquiring Disability Status for Primary LE

Postby davef » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 am

i was able to get a handicap parking permit just go to dmv and get the forms and take it to your doctor thats all i had to do it sure has made a diffrence for me good luck
davef

Re: Aquiring Disability Status for Primary LE

Postby mdhall » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am

Thank you, Dave. It sounds less complicated (and time-consuming) than I imagined it would.
mdhall

Return to Welcome Family