Weight loss surgery? Will it help LE??????

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Weight loss surgery? Will it help LE??????

Postby anna » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:07 am

I had colon cancer in 05 and developed LE in both legs. I can't walk now without assist from cane and walker. I do all the PT and wraps and pumps,but my weight just keeps going up (over 100lbs since 05) I am :cry: thinking of weight loss surgery. Will it help with LE or make it worst....? I want to move again....I hate this life with LE. thanks
anna

Re: Weight loss surgery? Will it help LE??????

Postby patoco » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am

HI Anna :)

Of those who have had weight loss, just about all reported that it did help the LE.

But, that's a pretty serious weight gain and I'm wondering if infact it might be more fluid retention then actual fat.

I say this not only because of the leg lymphedema, but because the abdominal lymphatics can be really damaged with the procedures done in conjunction with colon caner. Do you have lymphedema therapist? I would urge you to verify this with a therapist. They should be able to with physical examination tell if it is fluid or otherwise. If it is fluid, yo don't want to have weight loss therapy, but LE treatment instead.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family